Free PC Diagnostics
Windows Boot Errors
Secure your PC
Link to us
How to change the Default program in Windows XP
Have you ever gone to view a file (photo, document etc) on your computer, only to click on it and have an annoying program that you don't like open it for you? Sometimes programs hijack your Windows File Extensions, taking over the default file viewer. Fortunately, however, it's pretty easy to change. Here's how!
- Go to your start menu and open the control panel.
- Look for an icon called Folder Options and open it. If you don't see this icon, on the left bar below where it says Control Panel, look for the words "Switch to Classic View" and click on it.
- Select the third tab, labeled File Types.
- Scroll down to thew list until you find the file extension you want to change (JPG, GIF, DOC, XLS etc). Below, it will say what program the file opens with, and offer a button called Change.
- Click on Change, and you will be presented with a list of options to choose from. Find the application you want to use and select OK.
Right click on the file you want to change, select "Open With..." select the desired program and toggle the "Always use this" checkbox.